ClevelandOhio immigrant rights organizations and attorneys held a virtual press conference May 28 to announce a win: Immigrants will no longer be subjected to the deplorable conditions of detention at the Butler County Jail, in Hamilton. Organizers are demanding Immigration and Customs Enforcement release everyone detained in the jail.Third International Human Rights Day protest outside Butler County Jail, Dec. 10, 2020. Credit: Ohio Immigrant AllianceAbdoulaye Lam and Demba Diawara, who were later deported to Mauritania, gave prerecorded testimony about the abusive treatment they were subjected to in the jail. Prison guards beat them and called them racial slurs. The food served was “horrible.” They were not given clean clothes. There were no hot showers, and the building was unheated in the winter. When they complained of stomach pain, they were not allowed to see a nurse.“This is something I will never, ever forget,” Lam said. Diawara demanded: “Shut down this jail!”Lam and Diawara had spent many years in the U.S. and had small businesses in the community before being arrested and ultimately deported. Their spouses are legal residents, and their children were born here. “My daughter cries every single day,” said Diawara.Speakers credited the “bravery and courage of the people who are inside,” like Lam and Diawara, for sending out letters about jail conditions, which led to a lawsuit. Rather than refraining from subjecting detainees to an inhumane situation, notoriously racist Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones ended the county’s contract with ICE.Lynn Tramonte, representing the Ohio Immigrant Alliance, said, “We say good riddance.” Previously ICE ended its arrangement with the Morrow County Jail, where 100% of those incarcerated had contracted COVID-19 after being denied face masks, soap and implementation of social-distancing measures. Similar victories have been achieved in Georgia and Massachusetts.Immigrant rights activists are collaborating with state abolition groups to fight intolerable county jail conditions, which people incarcerated by the criminal injustice system also face. Justice will not be served if people without documents are merely transferred to other horrible facilities — or if they are deported.“Ohio is not a place where we want to detain immigrants,” said Danya Contractor, with the mutual aid group Ohio Immigrant Visibility. The two remaining county jails in Ohio that contract with ICE are Geauga County in Chardon and Seneca County in Tiffin.Technically, anyone who has been in the U.S. since at least November 2020, and is not deemed to pose a risk to the community, is legally eligible for release. However, immigration attorney Brian Hoffman pointed out that this is nearly impossible to prove before a judge without an attorney. Only 14% of migrants in ICE detention have attorneys, and the percentage is even lower in some states.Abolish ICE! Free them all!FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare thisFacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmailPrintMoreShare this
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A 23-year-old Patchogue man was killed when his car crashed head-on with another in Sayville on Wednesday night.Suffolk County police said Christian Hernandez was driving a Chevrolet Malibu westbound on Montauk Highway when he crossed into the opposite lanes of traffic and collided with an eastbound Toyota Prius near Broadway Avenue at 8:45 p.m.Hernandez was taken to Southside Hospital in Bay Shore, where he was pronounced dead. The other driver, a 32-year-old of Brooklyn man, was treated for non-life-threatening injuries.Fifth Squad detectives impounded the vehicles, are continuing the investigation and ask anyone with information about this crash to call them at 631-854-8552.
SINGAPORE — Southeast Asia saw a surge in the use of digital services like e-commerce, food delivery and online payment due to the coronavirus pandemic, according to a new report from Google, Temasek Holdings and Bain & Company.As many as 40 million people in six countries across the region — Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Vietnam and Thailand — came online for the first time in 2020, the report said. That pushed the total number of internet users in Southeast Asia to 400 million. It added that many of the new users came from non-metropolitan areas in Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines.Global growth is facing an unprecedented challenge this year due to stringent lockdown measures that have affected businesses and employment across the world.- Advertisement – “When we ask consumers why they chose to use e-commerce, as just one example, during coronavirus, they share with us that yes, it was to avoid potential exposure to coronavirus. But really importantly, near the same percentage of people state it is because it is efficient and they found it to be helpful,” Davis said.Some of the main findings from this year’s report includes:1. Digital financial services are gaining momentum as more small-and-medium-sized businesses have become receptive to accepting online payments. Digital payments are set to grow from $600 billion in 2019 to $620 billion in 2020 as the average number of cash transactions fall and could reach $1.2 trillion by 2025.2. Health technology and education technology sectors received a boost from the pandemic as many people turned to online health consultations while schools shifted to remote learning. Investments into those sectors are growing.3. Online travel and transport sectors were hit the hardest as the pandemic ground international travel to a halt while many people began to work from home. Still, the report predicts online travel to rebound to $60 billion by 2025.4. Regional technology investments rose 17% in the number of deals between the first half of 2019 and first half of 2020 but total deal value fell from $7.7 billion to $6.3 billion. Investors put more money into the financial technology space where deal value rose from $475 million to $835 million in the first half of 2020. Customers and drivers for Grab Holdings Inc.’s GrabFood line up to collect orders at a Pisang Goreng Bu Nanik store in Jakarta, Indonesia, on Monday, July 15, 2019. Globally, the online food order industry has grown into a hyper-competitive field, which has led to consolidation as companies claw for a bigger slice of more than $300 billion in restaurant deliveries. Photographer: Dimas Ardian/Bloomberg via Getty ImagesBloomberg | Bloomberg | Getty Images – Advertisement – – Advertisement – Still, the report predicted Southeast Asia’s internet sectors could witness strong growth and hit $100 billion in 2020, with e-commerce registering a 63% growth while the online travel segment contracted 58%. Overall, the region’s internet sectors remain on track to cross $300 billion by 2025.“We’ve been profoundly impacted by the global coronavirus but it has been heartening and encouraging to see that the resilience still exists in Southeast Asia’s digital economy,” Stephanie Davis, vice president for Southeast Asia at Google, said on CNBC’s “Squawk Box Asia” on Tuesday before the report was officially released.Davis explained that Covid-19, which has infected more than 50 million people worldwide, drove a lot of the decision-making for consumers across Southeast Asia. She added that there was encouraging evidence that much of that shift to digital consumption is here to stay.- Advertisement –
In a speech at the 84th Anniversary of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) on Tuesday night, the Chief Executive has tasked the government forces to destroy local terrorists who are still making violent attacks. The President also hailed soldiers for being the utusan ng bayan for being there in times of armed conflict and disasters. MANILA – President Rodrigo Duterte reiterated his order to soldiers to “crush” enemies of the state including communist rebels. “Isa pang kalaban na sumisira sa buhay natin ay itong mga terrorista, kasali na ang NPA (New People’s Army), kasali na ang mga kidnap-for-ransom nandyan sa Jolo, ang Abu Sayyaf, at lahat na. Ang utos ko sa kanila (AFP), at pag sila (terrorists) ay lumaban, durugin para matapos na ang problema ng Pilipino,” Duterte said. President Rodrigo Duterte leads the awarding ceremony for the outstanding members of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) during the AFP’s 84th anniversary at the Camp General Emilio Aguinaldo in Quezon City on Dec. 17. PCOO “Sa utos ko na yan, na ubusin ninyo sila, sabihin ko sa inyo, time and again, I take full legal responsibility. I and I alone…will go to prison. You can enjoy your freedom. I will take the risk,” Duterte said. He assured soldiers that they have his support and even declared openness in taking full legal responsibility for his order. “Our soldiers, they are everything, and that is why you should love your soldiers. Tayong mga Pilipino, tulungan natin,” President Duterte said./PN
The clash between Upperchurch-Drombane and Loughmore Castleiney will now take place on SATURDAY evening in The Ragg with a throw in time of 7.30.. It follows the match between Holycross Ballycahill and Clonakenny which takes place at the same venue at 6 pm.Then on SUNDAY defending champions Thurles Sarsfields will take on Drom-Inch at the earlier time of 12 noon in Holycross and not Templetuohy.The revised fixtures which were originally changed to avoid a clash with the Republic of Ireland’s Euro 2016 match followed a meeting of the CCC yesterday as well as lengthy discussions with the clubs involved.
18 October 2012 The South African government will use an upcoming International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) review of the country’s nuclear infrastructure to help assess its readiness for a nuclear build, says the Department of Energy. South Africa’s Integrated Resource Plan (IRP) 2010-30 outlines the country’s intention to add 9 600 megawatts of nuclear energy to its energy mix by 2030. The IRP is SA’s 20-year plan for balancing electricity production and consumption. “As the country implements the IRP, government has taken the initiative to assess its readiness for the nuclear new build programme of the country by using the IAEA milestone approach called the Integrated Nuclear Infrastructure Review (INIR),” the Department of Energy said in a statement on Wednesday. The IAEA will conduct the INIR mission in February. ‘Not an external audit’ The department stressed that while this would be an independent and objective review, it was not intended to be an external audit of South Africa’s national infrastructure. “Rather, it describes the sequential development through the three phases for each of 19 milestones,” the department said. The “milestones” include safety, legislation, funding and financing, and radiation protection. As a member of the IAEA, South Africa is obliged to meet these milestones. An IAEA team conducted a three-day workshop in Pretoria this week to provide comment on SA’s self-evaluation report, as well as to define the scope, work plan and logistical arrangements for February’s mission.Self-evaluation report The workshop was attended by representatives from the Nuclear Energy Corporation of SA, Eskom, the National Nuclear Regulator, and the departments of energy and public enterprises, all of whom form part of the National Nuclear Energy Executive Coordination Committee that has developed a self-evaluation report for the country. Deputy President Kgalema Motlanthe leads the committee, which acts as the national decision-making body regarding the country’s nuclear programme. In June, the National Nuclear Regulator said that South Africa’s nuclear installations could withstand natural events. This followed an assessment of reports from stakeholders which aimed to identify vulnerabilities in the design of the country’s facilities and identify any modifications that needed to be made. Source: SANews.gov.za
Obie Mavuso is tackling homophobia head-on through her events company Queers on Smash. (Image and Video: Redbull Amaphiko)A seasoned indie musician and filmmaker from Cape Town is taking on gender inequalities in arts and entertainment by bringing together members of the LGBTI community to talk about their experiences.Obie Mavuso founded Queers on Smash, which she describes as “a queer and unorthodox lifestyle company offering fun and inclusive queer spaces”.At the core of her work is a desire to create a place where queer people can party, talk and hangout without all the discrimination that society projects onto LGBTI – lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex – people.First eventIn April, Queers on Smash hosted its first blacks-only queer social event in Cape Town.“The response was amazing,” said Mavuso. “A lot of people came up to me on the day and told me they were happy to be at the social. That was the main point for me. It wasn’t really about me, but for people like myself. We needed a space where we could feel safe and belong.”At the event, they discussed what it means to be black and queer in Cape Town.Author and stage actress Buhle Ngaba gave a talk about her recently released book Girl Without A Sound, which is a fairytale written specifically for black girls.The 25-year-old also co-founded Jam That Session with fellow musician Andy Mkosi – a creative platform that showcases up and coming creative practitioners.“Art’s always been about personal expression for me,” said Mavuso in an interview with Redbull Amaphiko. “I just want to make a positive change through my art and shift people’s mindsets.”Next month, Queers on Smash will be hosting another blacks-only queer social in Johannesburg.
To give all eligible South Africans the opportunity to vote in the local elections on 3 August 2016, the day has been declared a public holiday. All citizens who can vote are encouraged to visit polling stations and exercise their democratic right.The day of the upcoming local elections, 3 August, has been declared a public holiday. (Image: IEC, Twitter)Brand South Africa reporterThe date of the 2016 local government elections, 3 August 2016, has been declared a public holiday.This would enable all South Africans who are eligible to vote to exercise their right on the day, President Jacob Zuma said on Friday.President Zuma declares 3 August 2016 a public holiday https://t.co/eq0oTfJcES— PresidencyZA (@PresidencyZA) June 24, 2016“Voting is a fundamental right enshrined in our Constitution,” he said. “It is important that citizens are granted an opportunity to exercise this right freely. This is particularly so when they elect this sphere of government that is closest to them.”All eligible voters are encourage to go out to vote on 3 August 2016.This year marks 16 years of democratic local government in South Africa.Source: South African Government News AgencyWould you like to use this article in your publication or on your website? See Using Brand South Africa material.
The BCCI on Monday formed a special committee to probe the Indian team’s debacle during their England tour. Giving this information, BCCI president N. Srinivasan said the panel would be headed by former cricketer Mohinder Amarnath and former captain Anil Kumble.The decision was taken at the board’s annual general meeting held in Mumbai.India were whitewashed in the Test series, followed by a one-off Twenty-20 match and finally in the ODI series.The board, however, appealed to Indian fans to support Team India, saying, “The Indians will bounce back. It was a bad series.”Earlier, sources had told Headlines Today that Amarnath might replace Yashpal Sharma as the representative from the north zone in the BCCI selection committee.India’s first World Cup winning team member Amarnath had once called the selection committee a bunch of jokers.The BCCI chief also said former captain Sourav Ganguly will replace Sunil Gavaskar as the technically committee head as the former opener “has resigned”. “We are yet to get his (Sourav’s) consent. I hope he agrees,” Srinivasan said.
GAO, Mali – Canadian military helicopters will arrive in Mali next month to replace counterparts from Germany and Belgium who have been providing medical evacuations and other assistance to the UN operation there. Here is a breakdown of the 175 missions that the Germans and Belgians have conducted since March 2017:16 were emergency medical flights that evacuated 43 injured peacekeepers.134 were to transport supplies or equipment.21 were to transport reconnaissance teams.4 were to transport explosive ordinance teams.