“Tomorrow is the World Cup final. Simply, the players know what that is,” Dalic said on Saturday.“One thing that brings me happiness is that all my players tell me if they are not 100 percent fit. They will concede they are not fit. They know what is at stake but if they are unable to give their all they will tell us. They have such an attitude.”Ivan Perisic, who scored and set up Mario Mandzukic’s winner in a 2-1 semi-final win over England, was among five Croatian players to miss training on Friday.“We have nothing to train. We need relaxation and rest to gain freshness for tomorrow,” added Dalic.“We have some minor injuries, minor problems, and I hope my players will be ready. If not, I have great players on the bench who will be raring to go.”Thanks boss: Luka Modric hailed Zlatko Dalic’s impact in turning around Croatia’s fortunes © AFP / Mladen ANTONOVDalic, 51, was little known outside his homeland until the tournament, but has masterminded an incredible turnaround in Croatia’s fortunes.A team boasting the talents of Luka Modric and Ivan Rakitic were struggling even to qualify for the World Cup before his appointment in October last year.His first match in charge was a must-win qualifier away to Ukraine just to make it into a playoff where they beat Greece.“We are in the World Cup final. That was the influence of our coach,” said Modric.“Our qualification for the World Cup was in doubt and in the most important game, the first game, he talked us up to give us self-belief and self-confidence. He told us there were still good players despite this crisis.“Against Ukraine we got the result, we breezed past Greece in the playoff and a great deal of that is due to our coach. What I most like is his sincerity, attitude and approach to every single player. He’s shown his qualities not just as a coach but as a human being.”– ‘Seismic event’ –Croatia’s run to the final has restored the players’ status as national heroes back home after fans had become disenchanted by corruption cases blighting the game in recent years.Modric was even charged in March over alleged false testimony he gave in the case that saw Croatian football kingpin Zdravko Mamic sentenced to six-and-a-half years in prison.Modric’s indictment still has to be formally approved by a Croatian court and he is not currently facing arrest.And Dalic hopes that feel-good factor continues for a nation of just over four million people.“We can only be happy and proud that despite the crisis, Croatians have put aside the problems and the hardship,” said Dalic.“Win or lose, tomorrow there will be a seismic event in Croatia. Hopefully there will be four million people out on the streets celebrating.”Modric’s performances in Russia have seen him emerge as a strong contender to finally end Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi’s 10-year grip on the Ballon d’Or.The midfielder also won a fourth Champions League in five seasons with Real Madrid in May.However, Modric insisted it is the collective prize rather than personal acclaim he is seeking on Sunday.“When you are mentioned in that context it’s very nice and pleasing but I don’t preoccupy myself with that,” he added. “What I want is my international team’s success, not individual awards.”0Shares0000(Visited 1 times, 1 visits today) 0Shares0000Final hurdle: Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic could be forced into changes for Sunday’s World Cup final © AFP / Jewel SAMADMOSCOW, Russian Federation, Jul 14 – Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic is prepared to make changes for Sunday’s World Cup final against France if some of his players have not recovered from their exertions in reaching football’s biggest game.Dalic’s men have been forced to go through three periods of extra-time, against Denmark, Russia and England, to become the smallest country in 68 years to make the final.
Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 3, 2017 – Providenciales – The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season will begin on June 1. The month of May is marked as Hurricane Preparedness Month and the Minister of Home Affairs with responsibility for Disaster Risk Management, Honourable Vaden Delroy Williams has given a statement on how the island plans to prepare for the upcoming hurricane season.In his statement, the Minister said “My Government and I are committed to building capacity within the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies (DDME) and by extension building resilience throughout the TCI. I have committed in the 2017/18 budget to address the need for a purpose built National Emergency Operation Center (NEOC) with Warehouse facilities, two snorkel vehicles to traverse flooded roads during emergencies, emergency radio communication upgrade and retrofitting of shelters. I am also committed going forward to provide DDME with the requisite human resources that it need to effectively and timely carry out its duties.”He also urged members of the public and major entities to adhere to the DDME’s Hurricane Awareness Month theme ‘to prepare for the unexpected.’ “I would like to encourage you to participate in DDME activities as advertised, prepare an emergency plan and be vigilant throughout the Season.”#magneticmedianews#hurricanepreparednessmonth TCI: Ahead of Hurricane Preparedness Month, over 70 islanders volunteer for shelter management TCI: Hard-working DDME lauded as Hurricane Preparedness Month officially opened Related Items:#hurricanepreparednessmonth, #magneticmedianews Williams on Hurricane Month: Help us help you.
Outgoing Board of Supervisors member Ron Roberts on decades of work in San Diego Updated: 9:30 PM December 7, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom Posted: December 7, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI)- His service to San Diego spans nearly his entire life and after serving over two decades on the Board of Supervisors Ron Roberts is termed out.Ron Roberts joins KUSI to talk about his service over the years. KUSI Newsroom,
Posted: May 22, 2019 Categories: California News, Local San Diego News May 22, 2019 AP, Updated: 11:49 AM AP Judge rules Qualcomm violated antitrust law in chip market NEW YORK (AP) — A federal judge has ruled that Qualcomm unlawfully squeezed out cellphone chip rivals and charged excessive royalties to manufacturers such as Apple in a decision that undercuts a key part of its business.The decision vindicates the U.S. Federal Trade Commission two years after it filed its antitrust lawsuit against the San Diego chipmaker. It’s a potentially costly setback for Qualcomm, as the decision could slash its ability to extract big royalties from phone makers.Qualcomm said Wednesday that it would appeal, suggesting the case could still take a few years to resolve.“We strongly disagree with the judge’s conclusions, her interpretation of the facts and her application of the law,” Qualcomm General Counsel Don Rosenberg said in a statement.The outcome seems likely to reduce the licensing fees paid to Qualcomm, but it’s unclear if device makers will pass on any of their savings and lower their prices. The royalties represent a relatively small portion of smartphone prices that now top $1,000 for some premium models.In this Jan. 9, 2019, file photo a sign advertises 5G at the Qualcomm booth at CES International in Las Vegas. Apple and mobile chip maker Qualcomm have settled a bitter financial dispute centered on some of the technology that enables iPhones to connect to the internet. The surprise truce announced Tuesday, April 16, came just as the former allies turned antagonists were facing off in a federal court trial that was supposed to unfold over the next month in San Diego. The resolution abruptly ended that trial. (AP Photo/John Locher, File)U.S. District Judge Lucy Koh in San Jose, California, ruled Tuesday that Qualcomm Inc. must renegotiate licensing deals with customers. It must license its patents to rival chipmakers at fair prices and can’t sign exclusive agreements that block competitors from also selling chips to smartphone makers like Apple. Qualcomm must submit to FTC monitoring for seven years.The case has geopolitical ramifications. If Qualcomm suffered a big hit to its profitability, that could mean less spending on research and development — a knock to an American tech icon as the U.S. embarks on a politically sensitive race with China to update to 5G, a new wireless technology.“The Trump administration views Qualcomm as almost the crown jewel for the U.S. in terms of U.S. technology development. Similar to the way China views Huawei,” said Angelo Zine, CFRA analyst. “It will be interesting to see if this gets revisited.”Qualcomm’s rivals are mostly Asian companies, including Huawei, Zine said. The Trump administration has set bruising sanctions against Huawei and pushed European allies not to use the Chinese company’s technology due to national-security concerns of China spying. The U.S. government is also in a spiraling trade war with China.The Trump administration’s attitude to Qualcomm can be seen in a case from last year, when it blocked a Singapore company, Broadcom, from buying Qualcomm over concerns about national security and who would dominate 5G technology.Trade group Computer & Communications Industry Association said Tuesday’s ruling was a win for wireless technology, as it would mean more competition.Qualcomm has justified its “no license, no chips” system as a repayment system for the $40 billion it has spent through several decades working on wireless technology essential to smartphones.Last month Apple and Qualcomm settled a bitter financial dispute centered on some of the technology that enables iPhones to connect to the internet. The deal requires Apple to pay Qualcomm an undisclosed amount. It also includes a six-year licensing agreement that likely involves recurring payments to the mobile chipmaker.Apple had already lost an earlier battle with Qualcomm in March when a federal court jury in San Diego decided the iPhone maker owed Qualcomm $31 million for infringing on three of its patents.Qualcomm shares dropped 12% to $68.18 in afternoon trading.___Liedtke reported from San Francisco. Michelle Chapman in Newark, New Jersey, contributed to this report. FacebookTwitter