Quantifying the success of multiculturalism

first_img Facebook Twitter: @NeosKosmos Instagram New policy measuring the success and failures of multiculturalism in Victoria will see the government up their involvement with new migrants and community institutions. The new policy, Victoria’s Advantage – Unity, Diversity, Opportunity, launched this week by Premier Denis Napthine and the Minster for Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship, Nicholas Kotsiras, will see qualitative steps taken to measure the success rate of multicultural programs.The new initiative will track the progress of culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) people and seek feedback on what needs to be done to improve services and community acceptance.Things like how many CALD students finish high school, how many go onto university and how many international students are currently studying in Victoria will be tracked.The number of international visitors in Victoria will be catalogued and the government will also see if skilled migrants have actually managed to find a job in their field. In a first, the policy will also gather data on whether people think multiculturalism makes life better in their area and also track the prevalence of racism and discrimination currently in the community. It will be the first time the state government has introduced policy to address specific complaints of discrimination and racial and religious vilification. The Scanlon report last year found the proportion of people saying they had experienced some form of discrimination jumped from 12 per cent in 2012 to 19 per cent in 2013.Premier Napthine said fighting racism and discrimination was not just for the government to tackle but something all Victorians should count themselves a part of.“We must all remain vigilant in our efforts to combat racism and discrimination whenever it occurs,” Premier Napthine said on the new policy.“It is not the role of the government alone, but rather it is the shared responsibility of all Victorians to ensure we are a stable and welcoming society.”The policy will also interview new migrants to see if government and community services are adequate when dealing with CALD needs.More information about the policy will be given closer to the November election, says Minister Kotsiras.“I think it’s important, we can’t embrace new migrants and say welcome to everyone but not provide the resources and the assistance for them to feel a part of the community,” he tells Neos Kosmos.“As we’ll be going closer to the election we’ll be announcing policies and programs with dollar terms on how to achieve this.”The government is expecting to invest to make sure translators and interpreters are available for people with low English proficiency to access government information and service, while it also hopes to encourage young people with migrant backgrounds to excel in the workforce and at school.The whole purpose of the policy, the government says, is to help better identify trends and emerging issues to better direct resources.Neos Kosmos approached Opposition Leader and Shadow Minister of Multicultural Affairs and Citizenship Daniel Andrews for comment but he did not reply before deadline.Also launched this week by Minister Kotsiras and the Education Minister Martin Dixon is a joint program to back civics, citizenship and multicultural education. They hope to improve access to bilingual resources, provide cultural diversity training to educators, guide schools and early learning services in developing inclusive, respectful practices, and give young people more opportunities to be involved in civic projects.last_img read more

French girls dominate at Miss Universe 2017

first_img Related Items:#magneticmedianews, #MissUniverse2017 Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppManila, Philippines, January 30, 2017 – Two French speaking countries dominated at the Miss Universe pageant last night; France who’s Iris Mittenaere won the 2017 title and Haiti.   Miss Haiti, Raquel Pelissier was a fine representation not just for her beauty, her brilliance as a 25 year old in pursuit of two Bachelor’s degrees but for her civic stance against bullying and her dream of finding a cure for blindness.Miss Colombia was third place in the show held in the Philippines and yes, again hosted by Mr. Steve Harvey… error free! Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppcenter_img #MagneticMediaNews #MissUniverse2017last_img

Minister of Home Affairs welcomes Hurricane Preparedness Month

first_img Recommended for you Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsAppTurks and Caicos, May 3, 2017 – Providenciales – The 2017 Atlantic Hurricane season will begin on June 1. The month of May is marked as Hurricane Preparedness Month and the Minister of Home Affairs with responsibility for Disaster Risk Management, Honourable Vaden Delroy Williams has given a statement on how the island plans to prepare for the upcoming hurricane season.In his statement, the Minister said “My Government and I are committed to building capacity within the Department of Disaster Management and Emergencies (DDME) and by extension building resilience throughout the TCI. I have committed in the 2017/18 budget to address the need for a purpose built National Emergency Operation Center (NEOC) with Warehouse facilities, two snorkel vehicles to traverse flooded roads during emergencies, emergency radio communication upgrade and retrofitting of shelters. I am also committed going forward to provide DDME with the requisite human resources that it need to effectively and timely carry out its duties.”He also urged members of the public and major entities to adhere to the DDME’s Hurricane Awareness Month theme ‘to prepare for the unexpected.’ “I would like to encourage you to participate in DDME activities as advertised, prepare an emergency plan and be vigilant throughout the Season.”#magneticmedianews#hurricanepreparednessmonth TCI: Ahead of Hurricane Preparedness Month, over 70 islanders volunteer for shelter management TCI: Hard-working DDME lauded as Hurricane Preparedness Month officially opened Related Items:#hurricanepreparednessmonth, #magneticmedianews Williams on Hurricane Month: Help us help you.last_img read more

Pellegrini unsure of Arnautovics future at West Ham

first_imgWest Ham manager Manuel Pellegrini says it’s ‘wait and see’ when asked about the future of striker Marko Arnautovic.Arnautovic was the subject of a £35m bid from an unnamed Chinese club last week.The Austrian forward appeared to wave fans goodbye when he was substituted in their 1-0 home victory against Arsenal, fuelling speculation that he’s close to leaving West Ham.Hammers boss Pellegrini is confident the club will resolve the situation in the next couple of days.declan rice, england, West ham UnitedReport: England’s Rice gets death threats George Patchias – September 9, 2019 England International Declan Rice has received death threats.Rice a one time Ireland International, switched allegiances only this year. The West Ham United man played for…“We will see what will happen in the next days with Marko,” he told the club’s website.“It’s an issue that the club must see what’s best for the club, the player and everyone. I hope the best position for everyone will be taken.“I’ve been in the situation a lot of times, I’ve been a manager for 30 years, but we will be calm about it because there is nothing 100% sure. We will see how it develops in the next days.”last_img read more

Outgoing Board of Supervisors member Ron Roberts on decades of work in

first_imgOutgoing Board of Supervisors member Ron Roberts on decades of work in San Diego Updated: 9:30 PM December 7, 2018 Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitter KUSI Newsroom center_img Posted: December 7, 2018 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek  . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsSAN DIEGO (KUSI)- His service to San Diego spans nearly his entire life and after serving over two decades on the Board of Supervisors Ron Roberts is termed out.Ron Roberts joins KUSI to talk about his service over the years. KUSI Newsroom, last_img read more