Maria Sharapova gets benefit of doubt from her racket firm Head

first_imgRacket firm Head intends to extend its contract with five-times grand slam champion Maria Sharapova despite her failing a drugs test at this year’s Australian Open, CEO Johan Eliasch said on Thursday.The 28-year-old Russian will be provisionally suspended by the International Tennis Federation (ITF) from this weekend after she admitted at a news conference on Monday taking the banned substance meldonium. (Maria Sharapova must pay for her mistake, says Rafael Nadal)Swiss watchmaker TAG Heuer cut ties with Sharapova this week, while Nike and Porsche have distanced themselves from her.However, Eliasch said Sharapova, under contract with Head since 2011, had ‘earned the benefit of the doubt’ after making an ‘honest’ mistake.”For a decade Maria Sharapova has been a role model and woman of integrity who has inspired millions of fans around the world to play and watch tennis,” he said in a statement.”The honesty and courage she displayed in announcing and acknowledging her mistake was admirable. HEAD is proud to stand behind Maria, now and into the future and we intend to extend her contract.  (Maria Sharapova fails drug test, Porsche, Nike, Tag Heuer suspend sponsorship) “We look forward to working with her and to announcing new sponsorships in the weeks and months ahead.”In Los Angeles on Monday, Sharapova said she had been taking meldonium, also known as mildronate, for 10 years because of health problems and regular bouts of flu.The drug, produced in Latvia but unavailable for purchase in the United States where Sharapova is based, was only added to the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) list of banned substances in January.advertisementManufactured for people suffering from heart problems, it can also increase blood flow and improve exercise capacity.Head said they were convinced Sharapova had not taken the drug to gain any advantage.”It is common ground within the scientific community that in order for meldonium to have any relevant performance enhancing effect it has to be taken in daily dosages in excess of 1,000 to 2,000mg,” the statement said.”According to the attorney for Maria, her dosage was significantly less than that.”While underlining Head’s commitment to clean sport, Eliasch said he trusted Sharapova’s explanation that she had not realised meldonium had been banned by WADA.”In the absence of any evidence of any intent by Maria of enhancing her performance or trying to gain an unfair advantage through the use of mildronate, we further conclude this falls into the category of ‘honest’ mistakes,” he said.Russian biathlete Eduard Latypov was suspended from competition on Thursday after testing positive for meldonium, the latest in a flurry of athletes to fall foul of the drug.last_img read more

BAHAMAS ParkerEdgecombe Cites Success of NEMACDEMA Partnership

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, December 12, 2017 – Nassau – The success of regional countries and their various disaster management agencies in mitigating the effects of future disasters such as hurricanes while simultaneously building stronger, more resilient Caribbean countries, will largely depend upon continued regional cooperation and partnerships, Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, Mrs. Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe said recently.Addressing the Gala Awards Dinner of the 10th Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Conference at Melia Nassau Beach resort, held as the final event of the weeklong conference in New Providence, Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe cited the partnership between The Bahamas’ National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) as one such partnership that has yielded “great results.”“The efforts of the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency continue to positively impact the region in the way we prepare for, and respond to disasters most notably hurricanes.   Here on our shores, the National Emergency Management Agency likewise has demonstrated that it is capable of weathering many storms and that as a result of partnerships with relevant stakeholders, much can be accomplished,” Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe said.“Only through strong partnerships will we all succeed as we continue to witness Mother Nature’s wrath at strength levels stronger than yesteryear’s.   The partnership between CDEMA and NEMA is no different and throughout the years, has also yielded great results.”Parliamentary Secretary Parker-Edgecombe said the importance of regional conferences such as the 10th CDM cannot be emphasized enough.“They are a must for our region if we are to remain abreast of the latest in disaster management inclusive of, but not limited to areas such as technology, infrastructure, communications and most importantly, human resources.“This conference comes at a time in which we continue to rebuild following several storms which devastated our region this year, namely Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Rebuild we must. Resilient we are.”The Awards Dinner was used to recognize the contributions of the many hardworking and dedicated disaster managers in the region “who have toiled in some of the most dangerous weather conditions to ensure the safety of others and property.”“To all of you receiving an award tonight, you must continue with your good works, nation by nation, community by community, we are all pursuing the same goal – a stronger and more resilient Caribbean,” Parliamentary Secretary Parker-Edgecombe said.“It cannot go without saying that all of you present here tonight are indeed the unsung heroes of our region and very much deserving of such recognition,” Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe added.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Photo caption:  Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, Responsible for Information and Communications, Mrs. Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe (at left) addressed the Gala Awards Dinner of the 10th Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Conference at Melia Nassau Beach resort, December 8, 2017.(BIS Photo/Kristaan Ingraham)center_img Related Items:last_img read more

Opening statements set for trial of deputies charged with assault on Vista

first_img VISTA (KUSI) – Opening statements were scheduled Wednesday in the trial of two sheriff’s deputies accused of assaulting a handcuffed Vista man and his father during an arrest last year.Deputy Nicholas Morgan, 27, is charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault without lawful necessity by an officer, and Deputy Joshua Nahan, 31, with one count, for allegedly roughing up Gerardo Martinez Jr. and Gerardo Martinez Sr.The father and son were arrested last May 7 after the lawmen responded to a domestic violence call.A 22-second video shot by a bystander appears to show the deputies shoving Martinez Sr. into a wooden fence while his son was pinned on a concrete sidewalk and repeatedly struck in the head.Morgan faces up to two years in jail if convicted, and Nahan could be sentenced to one year in jail if found guilty, according to the District Attorney’s office.A resisting-arrest charge was dismissed against Martinez Jr., who pleaded guilty last July to a domestic violence-related charge and was sentenced to four years of probation. Opening statements set for trial of deputies charged with assault on Vista men KUSI Newsroom, May 22, 2019 Posted: May 22, 2019 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more