Dawson Creek RCMP received a report at about 10:30 a.m. on July 7 that a man had approached a residence on James Paul Road, near the intersection of Highway 97 North and the 212 Road. The male reportedly tried to convince the young persons inside to allow him to enter the home. He was unsuccessful, and left the home in a white vehicle.The male suspect was described as being between the ages of 45-55 years old, estimated to be between five feet eight inches and five feet 10 inches tall, with a medium build, balding, grey hair, and wearing glasses and a plaid shirt.Police report this is the only known instance of an event of this nature. They would also like to remind parents to explain to their children the importance and the dangers of allowing strangers to enter their residence.- Advertisement -Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the Dawson Creek RCMP detachment at 250-784-3700 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS).
Antony Flew, formerly an influential atheist, was interviewed by Lee Strobel recently. Flew explained why he became convinced of the existence of a Creator. An article and video clip of the interview is available on the Lee Strobel website.Notice how it was the scientific evidence that convinced Flew to consider the possibility of a Creator, and how once that hurdle was overcome, he became open to consider the evidence for the resurrection of Jesus and other things that were off limits by definition in his earlier belief system. It took courage for this man to face the evidence that contradicted his long-held views. Though not ready to become a Christian, Flew finds the character of Jesus Christ admirable, but Mohammed and Islam contemptible. Speaking of Mohammed, “Islam and Science” was the cover story of Nature this week. The editors and reporters attempted to give a positive portrayal of Islamic beliefs as conducive to science, though were concerned over how current political regimes suppress it. You will search in vain for the word “terror” in any of the nine articles, except for one non-judgmental reference and another that puts the blame on the Americans for fomenting it. (We’ll leave it to your imagination what words would be applied to “Christianity and Science” by the editors of Nature.) Would that Antony Flew pay them a friendly visit.(Visited 9 times, 1 visits today)FacebookTwitterPinterestSave分享0
12 June 2013Foreign buying activity in Cape Town’s most sought-after suburbs has picked up markedly since the start of the year, predominantly on the back of the weak rand, according to property agency Seeff.Since January, about 75 properties to the value of almost R566-million have been snapped up by foreign buyers, the equivalent of more than 80 percent of the 89 units to the value of around R570-million that sold during the whole of 2012, Seeff’s managing director for the areas, Ian Slot, said this seek.This includes nine sales above the R20-million mark – four of which were bought by African buyers. The shift in activity to African buyers and emerging Eastern markets such as China and India is also becoming more prevalent, Slot said.African buyer activity has already more than doubled, with 12 property sales to the value of just over R142-million compared to about six property sales for the whole of 2012.Nigerian buyers top the list, with four properties that includes an apartment at Cape Town’s V&A Waterfront for R25-million and a luxury home in Bantry Bay for R30-million. An Angolan buyer also paid R30-million for a home in Camps Bay.Buyer activity from the emerging Eastern markets such as China and India has also more than doubled for this year so far, said Slot. A total of 10 properties to the value of just over R61-million have sold to Eastern buyers compared to only four sales during 2012.Chinese buyers top the list, with six property sales compared to only two during the whole of last year, he added. Five of these sales were below the R5-million price band, while the sale of a Camps Bay mansion topped this at a selling price of R7.296-million. Two Middle Eastern buyers also invested in Camps Bay holiday homes, including a modern villa sold for R9.75-million.European buyers account for 28 property sales to the value of just under R155-million; about 40 percent of all buying activity.About 18 properties to the value of R63-million were sold to British buyers.Buying activity from the USA remains low at only three property sales compared to two sales during 2012.The majority of sales, 52 properties (69 percent) worth more than R470-million, took place in the suburbs of the Atlantic Seaboard. This includes 11 sales to African buyers.The highest activity was in Camps Bay with 16 sales, followed by Sea Point with 11 sales. Sales in Cape Town’s central business district and City Bowl suburbs account for 23 units (31 percent), mostly to British and European buyers, Slot added.While foreign buying activity had improved over the last few months, Slot said that overall volumes were still down since 2009, when 435 properties with a combined value of over R1.5-billion sold to foreign buyers.This positive foreign buyer sentiment in the lead-up to the 2010 Fifa World Cup had since been stifled by the continued uncertainty in the UK and European economies. The upside of this was that many UK and European buyers had looked to shift their funds into South African property, and the weak rand had served as a significant incentive. This made property here even more attractive as a safe haven, he added.While foreign buyer activity for this year accounted for about 13 percent of the total sales volumes (81 out of a total of 608 units sold), Slot said that this percentage was always moderated by sales of foreign owned properties. For the 2012 year, for example, about 89 out of the total of 1193 properties sold were to foreign buyers, representing eight percent of all unit sales on the Atlantic Seaboard and in the City Bowl. In contrast, 117 foreign-owned properties were sold during the same year.Sapa
De Jager also complimented the Irene Country Club and the crowds that showed up to support the home team. “Irene Country Club is a perfect Davis Cup venue. My team and Monaco have thoroughly enjoyed the stay and warm hospitality, and compliments to the Club for being such magnificent hosts. “The fans came out in their droves. We had full houses on the weekend and it proves that there are a ton of people out there that are loyal and passionate about tennis and are hungry to see the local stars in action.”Friday Scholtz was the hero for South Africa on Friday when he beat Balleret, ranked about 600 places above him in the world rankings, after Monaco had taken the lead through Arneodo. The Monagasque number two outlasted De Voest in five sets, winning 7-5, 3-6, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4. Scholtz then came out on the right side of a five-setter, delivering a 7-6, 7-6, 3-6, 3-6, 6-3 victory for the home team. On Saturday, South Africa took a 2-1 lead in the tie after a tightly contested doubles clash. Recent Australian Open doubles runner-up Raven Klaasen teamed up with Ruan Roelofse to claim a 6-4, 6-4, 3-6, 4-6, 6-3 win over Guillaume Couillard and Thomas Oger.Forthcoming tie South Africa will next face Lithuania in another home tie from 4 to 6 April. Tennis South Africa will announced the venue within the next few weeks. SAinfo reporter 3 February 2014 South Africa secured a 3-2 win over Monaco at the Irene Country Club in Pretoria on Sunday to advance to round two of the Euro/Africa 2 Davis Cup competition. Victory was clinched at 3-1 up when Rik de Voest, the South African number one, defeated Monaco number one Benjamin Balleret 7-6, 6-2, 6-3. It was a very different de Voest that came onto court on Sunday than the one who did battle on Friday. When de Voest lost the opening rubber on Friday against Romain Arneodo, he struggled with his serve and didn’t play the big points well. On Sunday, though, de Voest was on top of his game and troubled Balleret from start to finish.‘Today I played well’ “I just felt so motivated and on fire today,” De Voest said afterwards. “I put up a big fight on Friday, but didn’t play that well. Today I played well. I was motivated to do well and restore some pride in front of my home crowd fans.” Balleret said he had expected a tough test from De Voest. “We both had lost going into Sunday’s rubber, so whoever lost on Sunday was going to be loser of the weekend. I didn’t want that and nor did Rik, and I must give credit to Rik for lifting his game to the level he did. He was far the better player out there,” the Monaco number one said. Monaco claimed the final match of the tie when Nik Scholtz retired at 5-7 down to Romain Arneodo due to a persistent hip flexor strain.‘We are so happy’ South African captain John-Laffnie De Jager declared himself delighted with the win. “A win is a win. We are so happy that we could pull off the win against Monaco in front of an enthusiastic home crowd,” he said. “I must give credit to Monaco for the big fight they put up, but huge applause to the South African lads for pulling off the win. Rik was a very different player on Sunday. Rik was the Rik I am used to and he proved once again to be such a crucial part of our side.”
South Africa is doing its bit to protect girls from cervical cancer. Now in its second round, the government is rolling out the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine in schools. HPV is a major cause of cervical cancer. The second dose of the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine is being rolled out to girls in South Africa’s Gauteng province, in August 2016. (Image: Gauteng Provincial Department of Health, Facebook)Compiled by Priya PitamberA year ago, the South African government started rolling out the human papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine. The second round of vaccines is now being distributed in Gauteng, in South Africa to all Grade 4 girls in public primary and special schools.HPV is a major cause of cervical cancer, which is responsible for the deaths of over 3 000 women in South Africa every year.According to Marie Stopes South Africa, the non-profit provider of sexual and reproductive health care services, cervical cancer progresses slowly and it may not show obvious symptoms. It is usually diagnosed by doing a pap smear.“The HPV is most effective when given to young girls who have not yet engaged in sexual activities as it works only as prevention rather than a cure,” said the Gauteng departments of health and education, which are collaborating on the initiative.The bi-annual campaign is part of the school health programme. The first phase ran from February to March 2016. The second phase had been running since 2 August and would continue until 6 September, said the departments. Parents must sign consent forms before a child can have the vaccination.The Cancer Association of South Africa (Cansa) said it was grateful for the campaign. “Cansa is proud to stand with the government in educating all young women about the dangers of HPV and cervical cancer, and offer an opportunity to take their health in their own hands as cervical cancer can be effectively treated if detected and diagnosed early,” said Cansa CEO Elize Joubert.See more information on cervical cancer below. Click on the infographic from Cansa for a larger view.
About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Everton boss Marco Silva explains halftime shake-up for Lincoln FA Cup winby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveEverton boss Marco Silva admits beaten FA Cup opponents Lincoln City forced him into major halftime changes.Silva took off Tom Davies and Dominic Calvert-Lewin at the break and replaced them with Andre Gomes and Cenk Tosun, in a sign of how tough Lincoln were making it.”In that moment, I felt we needed a player like Andre,” Silva said.”We completely controlled the game with the ball and were creating problems for them but when they score we started to have some doubts in our build-up and we needed Andre in that moment.”About the situation with Dominic, it was the moment for us to give Cenk the chance to show his quality.”Lincoln brought nearly 5,500 fans to the tie with Goodison almost sold-out and Silva thanked the home support.”Some words for our fans also,” he said.”When you play against Lincoln at home, and with big respect for our opponent, we nearly sold out the stadium and that shows us how important the competition is.”We knew that before the match and they proved and show to us again that is important and the enthusiasm they have when we play in this competition. Congratulations to them.”
The National Park Service and the National Park Foundation have announced that Queen of Soul Aretha Franklin will be performing at the 91st annual National Christmas Tree Lighting.Additionally, The Avett Brothers, Grammy award-winning violinist Joshua Bell, acclaimed soprano and musical ambassador Renée Fleming, multicultural operatic trio Forte, and Nolan Williams, Jr. and Voices of Inspiration will join singer/songwriter Janelle Monáe, Latin music superstar Prince Royce, jazz legend Arturo Sandoval and the multiplatinum, Grammy-winning band Train in performing a collection of holiday favorites.The 2013 National Christmas Tree Lighting will take place Friday, December 6 on the Ellipse at President’s Park in Washington, D.C. The ceremony will kick off the holiday season in our nation’s capital and can be viewed online LIVE at www.thenationaltree.org beginning at 4:30 p.m. ET with the exclusive National Christmas Tree Lighting pre-show. This year, folk Americana duo Aberdeen Green, singer/songwriter Del Travar, and The U.S. Army Blues will perform in the pre-show co-hosted by 94.7 FRESH FM’s Tommy McFLY and ABC7/WJLA-TV’s Jummy Olabanji. The event can also be seen on public television throughout December. Broadcast times can be found by checking local listings or visiting www.thenationaltree.org.Presented by the National Park Service and the National Park Foundation, the official charity of America’s national parks, and produced by Bounce AEG, the National Christmas Tree Lighting is the first event in a four-week holiday celebration in President’s Park. This year’s ceremony marks the 91st annual National Christmas Tree Lighting, an American holiday tradition started by President Calvin Coolidge in 1923.For the sixth consecutive year, UL is the premier sponsor of the National Christmas Tree Lighting. As an independent safety science company, UL’s mission is to promote safe working and living environments for all people. More information can be found at www.UL.com. Other event supporters include GE Lighting, Amtrak, Guest Services Inc., Hargrove, Hilton Garden Inn – Washington DC Downtown, Hudler Carolina Tree Farms, Loews Madison Hotel Washington D.C., Mesh Int’l, Nicolas Holiday, Uber, United and Willard InterContinental Washington D.C.More information about the 2013 National Christmas Tree Lighting can be found at www.thenationaltree.org and on Twitter.Source:PR Newswire
Initially ostracizedBut recognition and reward did not come immediately — nor easily — for Collins in 1940’s Vancouver.When the Collins family — Collins, her husband of 70 years Richard, and their four children — moved into an all-white area of Burnaby, they weren’t exactly welcomed. Eleanor Collins, Vancouver’s First Lady of Jazz, turned 99 this week. Advertisement Eleanor Collins, Vancouver jazz great, prepares for an episode of ‘The Eleanor Show’. (CBC) Eleanor Collins was the first black artist in North America to have their own nationally broadcast television show. (Franz Lindner/CBC) The B.C. Entertainment Hall of Fame star belonging to Eleanor Collins. (Judith Maxie) A portrait of musical artist Eleanor Collins. (Franz Lindner/CBC) Facebook Advertisement Login/Register With: When asked about the significance of breaking the colour barrier in 1950’s television, she responded with typical humility.“I don’t think I was aware, completely, how different it was. I had no idea. I just came and did the things I thought I could do,” Collins told On the Coast host Gloria Macarenko.“Many years later they say that was, for the time, a very good job that you did.” When it comes to jazz, Vancouver may not be New Orleans, or New York, or even New Hampshire for that matter.Yet Vancouverites can claim a significant pioneer of musical and television history who saw her career flourish here and who chose to remain despite the siren call of south-of-the-border suitors. Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment Advertisement Among a lengthy list of accolades is the Order of Canada, in which she was commended for her “pioneering achievements as a jazz vocalist, and for breaking down barriers and fostering race relations in the mid-20th Century.”In 1955 — over a year before the Nat King Cole TV show aired in the U.S. — Collins became Canada’s first woman, and North America’s first person of colour, to have their own nationally broadcast television show on CBUT (CBC Vancouver).