Scott Ellaway, formerly organ scholar at Keble College, and James Bowman, previously a choral scholar at New, are just two of Oxford’s alumni making their way in the classical music world. Last Friday, at the Oxford Playhouse, counter-tenor Bowman performed alongside conductor Ellaway and his newly formed ensemble, Orchestra Europa. Europa has been set up to allow young ambitious musicians throughout Europe the opportunity to launch their careers. The idea is based upon New World Symphony, a project in Miami established in 1987 by Michael Tilson Thomas, which selects promising young classical musicians from across the U.S.A. and trains them for three years as orchestral performers. ‘Europa will take musicians recommended by conservatoires and, having given them training, help them to gain positions in the best orchestras in the world,’ Ellaway told me. ‘We will be holding auditions in April to select members of the orchestra, which will in the end be of symphonic size’.Despite having only rehearsed together for a week at the time of Europa’s first launch concert last Friday, the orchestra played with amazing cohesion, with Ellaway’s own enthusiasm as conductor displayed in the playing. Symphonies by Haydn and Schubert were separated by two short songs, sung by sixty-six year old Bowman. The first song, by Hasse, was extremely playful, and was juxtaposed perfectly by the beautiful Mozart song that followed. Both songs were short, however, and it was disappointing to see Bowman’s performance come to an end so quickly.Orchestra Europa will give a series of concerts in 2008 throughout Europe with world-famous soloists such as Yan Pascal Tortelier, Sir Thomas Allen, Peter Donohoe and Nicola Benedetti. The second of their launch concerts will be in Oxford on 25th April at the Sheldonian theatre, where the orchestra will be performing music by Beethoven, Haydn, and Dr. Robert Saxton, a fellow in music at Worcester College. – Robin Thompson
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York Investigators want to know who threw this dog away.Authorities are looking for those responsible for dumping a small dog that was found on Christmas Eve in a dumpster in West Islip.Suffolk County police responded Tuesday to a report that someone found a female Maltese-mix dog in a dumpster at the USA Gas Station on Montauk Highway, according to the Suffolk County SPCA.The dog, which was wearing a pink leash and a pink collar, was taken to an animal hospital for examination.The Suffolk County SPCA is offering a $2,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for dumping the dog.Anyone with information can contact the Suffolk County SPCA at 631-382-7722. All calls will be kept confidential.
SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Wolf Administration Announces Denial of Appeal for Disaster Declaration Request National Issues, Press Release, Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the President has denied his appeal for a federal disaster declaration that would have brought critical financial assistance to nine counties impacted by a crippling snowstorm in March.“At this point, we have exhausted our options for filing an appeal through the Federal Emergency Management Agency,” Governor Wolf said. “It’s unfortunate that the President didn’t grant our request for a declaration, and the citizens of northeast Pennsylvania will be the ones to suffer the financial impact of this decision.”The governor made the initial request for a disaster declaration in May and filed an appeal earlier this month in order to provide federal funding to local, county and state governments, as well as certain eligible non-profits in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Wyoming, Northumberland, Pike, Wayne and Montour counties through the Public Assistance program.According to the letter signed by Acting FEMA Administrator Robert J. Fenton, “After a thorough review of all the information contained in your initial request and appeal, we reaffirm our original findings that the impact from this event is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration. Therefore, I must inform you that your appeal for a major disaster declaration is denied.”In his letter filing the appeal, Governor Wolf cited: decreased revenues at the state and county levels; hazardous road conditions due to record or near-record snowfalls; excessive costs for plowing, hauling and disposing the crippling amounts of snow from the storm; major challenges to first responders in supporting basic and event-related emergency services as well as disaster response needs at the municipal and county level; and mobilization of a variety of local and volunteer resources to address public safety and emergency needs of citizens.A federal disaster declaration for Public Assistance would provide reimbursement of up to 75% of the costs incurred on eligible expenses for the eligible 48-hour time period. June 13, 2017
WASHINGTON — If Dave Roberts is fortunate enough to have a lead in the late innings of the All-Star Game on Tuesday night, the Dodgers manager will have his choice of closers to finish it off.One guy, however, seems like the obvious choice, and not just because he shares the same uniform as the manager.Sign up for Home Turf and get exclusive stories every SoCal sports fan must read, sent daily. Subscribe here.Kenley Jansen is the most established of the three closers on the NL roster. The others are the Padres’ Brad Hand and the Pittsburgh Pirates’ Felipe Vazquez. The Milwaukee Brewers’ duo of Josh Hader and Jeremy Jeffress have pitched mostly in setup roles. Washington Nationals closer Sean Doolittle was picked for the team, but he’s injured.“It would mean a lot (to close the game), to be honest,” Jansen said. “If I had a shot to close the game, it would be awesome.” Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error “I”m just trying to meet guys and say ‘what’s up?’” Stripling said. “It’s a room of pretty talented guys. I’m just trying to see where I fit in and spark up conversations where I can. Mostly I want to get out and pick the brains of some of the guys who are here.”Stripling said the first two players he met were Nolan Arenado and Paul Goldschmidt.Besides that, he is hoping he’ll get a chance to pitch in the game. He said Roberts indicated that he’s probably going to get in the game.“I think it’s important (to pitch),” he said. “I may not get another chance to come to an All-Star Game, so I want to pitch in the one I’m at.” Dodgers’ hot-hitting Corey Seager leaves game with back injury Dodgers’ Dave Roberts says baseball’s unwritten rules ‘have changed, should change’ Related Articles Jansen is on the roster for his third All-Star Game. The National League lost his previous two. He entered trailing in the eighth to get the final out in 2016, and he entered a tie game in the ninth last year.Jansen said on Monday afternoon he wasn’t aware of Roberts’ plan, but he would have a conversation with him to express his desire to finish the game, if the situation arises.SOAKING IT INRoss Stripling had barely begun the All-Star Game events on Monday afternoon, but he said his head was already spinning.“It’s a whirlwind,” said Stripling, adding that he and the Dodgers’ contingent didn’t arrive in Washington until around 3 a.m. on Monday morning.He said one of his goals for the event was to try to get know some of the players he’d only seen from across the field or in the batter’s box. Dodgers bench slumping Cody Bellinger for a day Whicker: Dustin May yet another example of the Dodgers’ eye for pitching Dodgers’ Justin Turner looking rejuvenated on defense
Former House Speaker Alex Tyler, together with several present and past public officials, including Senator Varney Sherman (Grand Cape Mount County), will go on trial Friday, February 17, at the Criminal Court ‘C.’The defendants will on Friday appear before Judge Yarmie Quiqui Gbeisay, where they will choose if their fate will be decided by a jury or a judge. They are being tried for multiple crimes, including bribery, economic sabotage and money laundering.Tyler and Sherman were indicted on separate dates in May and November 2016 in connection with a wide-range of bribery scandals that involved seven other defendants, including Sable Mining, a company operating on the Alternative Investment Market in London, Great Britain, and a major shareholder inDelta Mining Consolidated Limited ((DMC), a South African Company that was operating in the country; Chris Onanuga, a Nigerian businessman; Eugene Shannon, former Minister of Lands, Mines and Energy (MLME). Others are his deputy Ernest C.B, Jones Morris Saytumah, former Minister of State forFinance, Economic and Legal Affairs in the office of President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, and now Senator of Bomi County.Others indicted were Willie Belleh, former chairman of the Public Procurement Concession Commission (PPCC), and Richard Tolbert, former chairman of the National Investment Commission (NIC).They are accused of taking kickbacks from Sable Mining, which is also indicted to face trial either in the UK or South Africa, according to Cllr. Jonathan Fonati Koffa, head of the SPTF.According to the indictment, Sherman, who was then the Liberian lawyer for Sable Mining, allegedly accepted over US$950,000 from the company between 2010 and 2011 to bribe the codefendants to award the Wologizi Mountain without going through any public bidding. They were to avoid the public bidding process by inserting a provision in the revised PPCC Act of 2010, which was on its way to the National Legislature, to give the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy the power to declare a concession area a non-bidding zone.The prosecution alleged that Sherman also gave US$75,000 to then Speaker Tyler to enhance the smooth passage of the Act containing the provision for the MLME to have the power to declare a concession area a non-bidding area. They also claimed that Sherman masterminded a scheme where two senior staff of Sable, Andrew Groves and Klaus Piprek, bribed Shannon and Jones with US$250,000 each for the speedy passage of the Act.Defendant Saytumah, the prosecution claimed, received US$5,000, to write a letter on April 6, 2011 and had it backdated to April 2009, as consultancy fee.For Belleh and Tolbert, prosecutors further alleged they received US$10,000 and US$50,000 respectively as consultancy fees to change the Act. Their case stemmed from the Global Witness allegation that they took bribes totalling US$950,000 from Sable Mining, a UK based company, to influence the change of the Public Procurement Concession Commission (PPCC) Act and make a provision for the Ministry of Lands, Mines and Energy (MLME) to have power to declare a concession area a non-bidding area.Their action to change the Act, according to the Special Presidential Taskforce (SPTF) setup to prosecute the accused, was contrary to the best practice of entertaining public bidding, so as to enhance the ease of awarding a concession agreement to Sable Miming for the operation of Wologizi Mountain in Lofa County.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)