BAHAMAS ParkerEdgecombe Cites Success of NEMACDEMA Partnership

first_imgFacebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp#Bahamas, December 12, 2017 – Nassau – The success of regional countries and their various disaster management agencies in mitigating the effects of future disasters such as hurricanes while simultaneously building stronger, more resilient Caribbean countries, will largely depend upon continued regional cooperation and partnerships, Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, Mrs. Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe said recently.Addressing the Gala Awards Dinner of the 10th Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Conference at Melia Nassau Beach resort, held as the final event of the weeklong conference in New Providence, Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe cited the partnership between The Bahamas’ National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency (CDEMA) as one such partnership that has yielded “great results.”“The efforts of the Caribbean Disaster Emergency Management Agency continue to positively impact the region in the way we prepare for, and respond to disasters most notably hurricanes.   Here on our shores, the National Emergency Management Agency likewise has demonstrated that it is capable of weathering many storms and that as a result of partnerships with relevant stakeholders, much can be accomplished,” Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe said.“Only through strong partnerships will we all succeed as we continue to witness Mother Nature’s wrath at strength levels stronger than yesteryear’s.   The partnership between CDEMA and NEMA is no different and throughout the years, has also yielded great results.”Parliamentary Secretary Parker-Edgecombe said the importance of regional conferences such as the 10th CDM cannot be emphasized enough.“They are a must for our region if we are to remain abreast of the latest in disaster management inclusive of, but not limited to areas such as technology, infrastructure, communications and most importantly, human resources.“This conference comes at a time in which we continue to rebuild following several storms which devastated our region this year, namely Hurricanes Irma and Maria. Rebuild we must. Resilient we are.”The Awards Dinner was used to recognize the contributions of the many hardworking and dedicated disaster managers in the region “who have toiled in some of the most dangerous weather conditions to ensure the safety of others and property.”“To all of you receiving an award tonight, you must continue with your good works, nation by nation, community by community, we are all pursuing the same goal – a stronger and more resilient Caribbean,” Parliamentary Secretary Parker-Edgecombe said.“It cannot go without saying that all of you present here tonight are indeed the unsung heroes of our region and very much deserving of such recognition,” Mrs. Parker-Edgecombe added.By: Matt Maura (BIS) Facebook Twitter Google+LinkedInPinterestWhatsApp Photo caption:  Parliamentary Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister, Responsible for Information and Communications, Mrs. Pakesia Parker-Edgecombe (at left) addressed the Gala Awards Dinner of the 10th Comprehensive Disaster Management (CDM) Conference at Melia Nassau Beach resort, December 8, 2017.(BIS Photo/Kristaan Ingraham)center_img Related Items:last_img read more

Smalling says United head to Turin full of confidence

first_imgManchester United defender Chris Smalling insists the team head to Turin for their UEFA Champions League tie against Juventus full of confidence.The England defender says United’s last-gasp win over Bournemouth on Saturday has given the side confidence ahead of their Champions League trip to Turin.Marcus Rashford scored a late goal to secure victory for Jose Mourinho’s team after Anthony Martial had cancelled out Callum Wilson’s early opener.The victory means the Red Devils have won both Premier League matches since their home defeat to Juventus last month, and moves them to 7th on the league table.With a game against rivals Manchester City coming up in the league on Sunday, a crucial few days lie ahead for United.harry maguire, manchester UnitedMaguire says United need to build on today’s win George Patchias – September 14, 2019 Harry Maguire wants his United teammates to build on the victory over Leicester City.During the summer, Harry Maguire was referred to as the ultimate…When asked what two positive results could do for the team’s season, Smalling said, as quoted by Goal:“I think that it would galvanise us. We know we’re going into a very tough week now but we can come out with some good results and it can be seen as a good month.”“It is an especially tough month now and potentially after the international break when we have a lot of home games it’s all about making sure we get results and move up that table despite the tough games.”“We can take the second half to Turin and I think we will be more on the front foot and you will see a better performance in the first half. We need to take the second-half performance that we had against them at home and we need to do that from the off and we’ll give them a good game and get chances.”last_img read more

Opening statements set for trial of deputies charged with assault on Vista

first_img VISTA (KUSI) – Opening statements were scheduled Wednesday in the trial of two sheriff’s deputies accused of assaulting a handcuffed Vista man and his father during an arrest last year.Deputy Nicholas Morgan, 27, is charged with two misdemeanor counts of assault without lawful necessity by an officer, and Deputy Joshua Nahan, 31, with one count, for allegedly roughing up Gerardo Martinez Jr. and Gerardo Martinez Sr.The father and son were arrested last May 7 after the lawmen responded to a domestic violence call.A 22-second video shot by a bystander appears to show the deputies shoving Martinez Sr. into a wooden fence while his son was pinned on a concrete sidewalk and repeatedly struck in the head.Morgan faces up to two years in jail if convicted, and Nahan could be sentenced to one year in jail if found guilty, according to the District Attorney’s office.A resisting-arrest charge was dismissed against Martinez Jr., who pleaded guilty last July to a domestic violence-related charge and was sentenced to four years of probation. Opening statements set for trial of deputies charged with assault on Vista men KUSI Newsroom, May 22, 2019 Posted: May 22, 2019 KUSI Newsroom Categories: Local San Diego News FacebookTwitterlast_img read more