Rabat – Morocco firmly condemned the armed attack which targeted on Friday two hotels in the Tunisian city of Sousse, killing and wounding several victims.“The Kingdom of Morocco firmly condemns the armed attack which targeted on Friday two hotels in the city of Sousse in the Republic of Tunisia, claiming the lives and injuring many victims,” said the foreign affairs ministry in a statement.“The Kingdom of Morocco expresses its solidarity with the sister nation of Tunisia, government and people, following this despicable terrorist act, extends its heartfelt condolences and sincere compassion to the victims’ families, and wishes swift recovery for the injured,” noted the statement. “Morocco reiterates its continuous support for the sister country of Tunisia against terrorist attacks and attempts to undermine its stability, plunge it into the economic crisis and hamper the development process to which the country committed itself to achieve progress, prosperity and democracy,” it added.Morocco also reaffirmed its stance of rejecting terrorism and extremism under all their forms and called for the need to join efforts regionally and internationally to counter the dangers facing the region and its future.With MAP
The Government today said that it had appointed a fresh committee to study the possibility of continuing the port city project.Cabinet Spokesperson Rajitha Senaratne said thata proposal had been made by Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe to the cabinet this week to appoint a committee of high ranking officials to consider the ability of permitting the continuation of the project which has remained suspended since March. “As per the recommendations of the committee appointed to review this project the construction work has currently been suspended. The proposal made by the Prime Minister, to appoint a committee of high ranking officials chaired by the Secretary to the Prime Minister for considering the ability of permitting the continuation of this project after correcting the lapses and procedures was approved by the cabinet of ministers,” Senaratne said. The 1.4 billion US dollar port city project funded by China Communications Construction Company LTD. was suspended by the new Sri Lankan government which took office in January after concerns were raised over some aspects of the project. Sri Lanka’s Deputy Minister of Highways Eran Wickramaratne recently said that there was no corruption involved in the Colombo Port City project and the only concern was if the proper procedures had been followed.The project began construction in September 2014 and is expected to attract 20 to 25 billion US dollars of foreign investments once completed.