Wolf Administration Announces Denial of Appeal for Disaster Declaration Request

first_img SHARE Email Facebook Twitter Wolf Administration Announces Denial of Appeal for Disaster Declaration Request National Issues,  Press Release,  Weather Safety Harrisburg, PA – Governor Tom Wolf today announced that the President has denied his appeal for a federal disaster declaration that would have brought critical financial assistance to nine counties impacted by a crippling snowstorm in March.“At this point, we have exhausted our options for filing an appeal through the Federal Emergency Management Agency,” Governor Wolf said. “It’s unfortunate that the President didn’t grant our request for a declaration, and the citizens of northeast Pennsylvania will be the ones to suffer the financial impact of this decision.”The governor made the initial request for a disaster declaration in May and filed an appeal earlier this month in order to provide federal funding to local, county and state governments, as well as certain eligible non-profits in Bradford, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Susquehanna, Wyoming, Northumberland, Pike, Wayne and Montour counties through the Public Assistance program.According to the letter signed by Acting FEMA Administrator Robert J. Fenton, “After a thorough review of all the information contained in your initial request and appeal, we reaffirm our original findings that the impact from this event is not of the severity and magnitude that warrants a major disaster declaration. Therefore, I must inform you that your appeal for a major disaster declaration is denied.”In his letter filing the appeal, Governor Wolf cited: decreased revenues at the state and county levels; hazardous road conditions due to record or near-record snowfalls; excessive costs for plowing, hauling and disposing the crippling amounts of snow from the storm; major challenges to first responders in supporting basic and event-related emergency services as well as disaster response needs at the municipal and county level; and mobilization of a variety of local and volunteer resources to address public safety and emergency needs of citizens.A federal disaster declaration for Public Assistance would provide reimbursement of up to 75% of the costs incurred on eligible expenses for the eligible 48-hour time period.center_img June 13, 2017last_img read more

Classy George Ford boots Bath to win over Leinster

first_img Fly-half Ford sent an early reminder to new England head coach Eddie Jones of his quality by booting 14 points – three penalties, a conversion and a drop-goal – as Bath also collected a second-half penalty try to edge out Recreation Ground visitors Leinster 19-16. His 76th-minute penalty proved the clincher, and Ford said: “You understand what type of kick it is to take a lead with a few minutes to go. “But you just focus on the process. You are in your own little bubble as a goal-kicker, you try and block everything out and just hit the ball like you do hundreds of time in training. “We didn’t score many tries today, but we were positive in the way we went about things.” Ford’s father, Bath head coach Mike Ford, was relieved to claim Saturday’s win as the west country club avenged last season’s Champions Cup quarter-final defeat against Leinster. “We showed our inexperience at 16-9 up,” Ford said. “We were in control of the game, but we stupidly did things that let them back in. We then got to 19-16 and we did it again, but luckily Stuart (Hooper) nicked that last lineout for us. “I am pleased we won against a Leinster side full of internationals. Our scrum was awesome – Henry Thomas and Nick Auterac were outstanding – but we can’t afford to give teams easy outs and chances to score points like we did today. “We got lucky today in terms of the end of the game when Stuart won that lineout. “They (Leinster) are always dangerous when they have got Johnny Sexton kicking his goals. “I said at half-time we needed to be more patient. We lost the ball too many times when we had good attacking positions through not being patient. If we had played Toulon today, we probably lose.” Ford, meanwhile, paid tribute to Bath and England centre Kyle Eastmond, who missed out on World Cup selection but showed his quality through a strong attacking display. “We love the way Kyle plays,” Ford added. “He played very ambitiously today, and he is vital for the way we want to play. We are really pleased where he is at the moment. “He was disappointed (in terms of the World Cup), but he is in talks to sign a new three-year deal with us, so he is not going anywhere.” Leinster, crushed 33-6 at home by Pool Five opponents Wasps last Sunday, have now lost their opening two games of a European campaign for the first time since 1996. And with Champions Cup holders Toulon also in the toughest group of this season’s tournament, Leinster are already struggling to progress. Ireland star Johnny Sexton kicked 11 points, including the conversion of substitute back-row forward Josh van der Flier’s late try, but Bath had done enough. Leinster head coach Leo Cullen said: “There was a bit of flak after last weekend, but we certainly got a better performance today. They showed a good bit of steel and desire, the way they fought back into the game. “After getting back to 16-16, I thought we looked the stronger team at that stage. “People need to stay patient with us. There were a lot of good things out there, but unfortunately, we didn’t get the result. “It is going to be tough. We just need to park Europe for the next couple of weeks, and try to get a bit more confidence in the PRO12.” England star George Ford admitted it was a case of “focus on the process” as he kicked Bath to a European Champions Cup victory over Leinster. Press Associationlast_img read more

Bryce Harper gives Blake Snell props for ‘speaking the truth’ about MLB’s season plans

first_img“He’s speaking the truth, bro,” Harper told Phillies minor leaguer Bryson Stott in a video posted Thursday by NBC Sports Philadelphia. “I ain’t mad at him. He’s speaking the truth. Somebody’s got to say it. At least he manned up and said it. Good for him.”Love Snell, man. Guy’s a beast, too. One of the best lefties in the game, bro.”Harper is entering the second year of a 13-year, $330 million contract.FAGAN: A guide to MLB’s 82-game season Snell said on a Twitch stream that “I need my money,” or else he’d sit out. He has expanded on those comments since then, but he remains committed to not playing if MLB and the players association agree to a revenue-sharing agreement that may cost players more money.Players agreed in March to take a prorated portion of their 2020 salaries based on the number of games played this year. If MLB plays its proposed 82-game schedule, then players would receive about half their salaries.”I want people to understand, what I’m saying is real,” Snell told The Athletic (subscription required). “I’m concerned just like everybody else about the virus, and I want to make sure me and my peers are taken care of. We want to play under circumstances that we agreed upon as a group. I will play if I get 50 percent and we play 50 percent of the season. But to accept making less than that and with more risks for our health, it’s not fair to the players. “I have love for all the essential workers. I have friends and family who are in health care, working essential jobs. Everybody needs to understand this is us wanting fair treatment during a crazy time with the pandemic going on.”MLB commissioner Rob Manfred said Thursday night that baseball would not force individual players to play if they have concerns.”We hope that we will able to convince the vast majority of our players that it’s safe to return to work,” he said in an interview with CNN’s Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta. “If there’s players with either health conditions or just their own personal doubts, we would never force them or try to force them to come back to work. They can wait until they feel they’re ready to come.” Bryce Harper respects Blake Snell for speaking publicly about the risks of playing in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.Harper came down on Snell’s side after getting a briefing on what the Rays left-hander said Wednesday about the health dangers and the idea that players may have to take a pay cut this season.last_img read more