Trump tests positive for Covid, upending US election

first_img The news detonated a political bombshell a month before election day.The first immediate consequence was cancellation of a Trump campaign rally meant to take place in Florida later Friday.Badly behind in the polls against Democratic challenger Joe Biden ahead of Nov.3, Trump has been using large rallies – where most people go without masks – to try to change the subject from his much criticized response to the coronavirus pandemic.Just Thursday he said in a speech to a New York charity event: “The end of the pandemic is in sight and next year will be one of the greatest years in the history of our country.” Topics : But now the leader who has repeatedly cast doubt on the seriousness of the virus – despite more than 200,000 Americans already dying – has become the world’s highest profile patient, proving that all the resources of the White House could not prevent the risk.Biden, who has made criticism of the Republican’s coronavirus response his key issue, made no immediate statement about the president’s health after the news broke.Technically obese and in his 70s, Trump is in a higher-risk category for coronavirus patients.Trump’s official physician, Sean Conley, said in a statement that the president and his wife “are both well at this time.””They plan to remain home at the White House during their convalescence,” he said. However, “I expect the president to continue carrying out his duties without disruption while recovering.”Trump’s positive test was more than a PR disaster for a president who has staked everything on trying to persuade Americans that fears of the virus are overblown.There were concrete, instant impacts to his campaign strategy, particularly throwing into doubt the future of his signature rallies.The events, which Trump says prove his true political strength better than the dismal opinion polls, bring together thousands of people, often without masks and sometimes in contravention of local rules.All that is now on hold, at least for the immediate future, and with the clock ticking rapidly down on the election.In addition to canceling the Florida trip, it looked certain that Trump would have to abandon a trip scheduled for this weekend in Wisconsin, another battleground. He had also been expected to travel frequently next week, including longer distances to western states.A second televised debate with Biden is scheduled for Oct.15.The news came right after one of Trump’s closest advisors, Hope Hicks, was reported Thursday to have come down with the virus.Hicks, 31, traveled with Trump to Cleveland for his first debate with Biden on Tuesday. She was with him again for a campaign rally in Minnesota on Wednesday.With Hicks sharing Trump’s Air Force One plane and the even more cramped confines of the Marine One helicopter, speculation immediately erupted that Trump and possibly many others in his close entourage were exposed.Despite Hicks’ diagnosis, Trump took another Air Force One trip on Thursday to meet with donors in New Jersey.It was only late Thursday that Trump confirmed media reports about Hicks while giving an interview to Fox News. He announced that he had been tested but did not say whether he had received the results.”You know I spend a lot of time with Hope, and so does the first lady,” Trump said.Hicks is the most senior White House aide announced to have contracted Covid-19.center_img President Donald Trump has tested positive for Covid-19, upending the already tense US election, but was described by his doctor on Friday as feeling “well” and able to perform his duties while quarantining.Trump, 74, first announced on Twitter that he and First Lady Melania Trump, 50, had tested positive.”We will get through this TOGETHER!” he wrote.last_img read more

Tottenham looking to beat Arsenal to the signing of Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona

first_img Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Could Philippe Coutinho move to Tottenham this summer? (Picture: Getty)Tottenham Hotspur are hoping to beat north London rivals Arsenal to the signing of Philippe Coutinho by submitting a loan offer to Barcelona.The 27-year-old is available for transfer this summer following an underwhelming 18-month spell in Spain, although Barcelona are also open to loaning him out for a season.According to the Times, Barcelona are looking to receive a hefty £21m fee in order to loan him out, though, while interested clubs may have to cover his £200,000 weekly wages.Spurs are on the lookout for an attacking midfielder as they look to sell Christian Eriksen this month and have been strongly linked with Real Betis’ Giovani Lo Celso and Sporting Lisbon’s Bruno Fernandes throughout the summer.ADVERTISEMENT Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Tottenham looking to beat Arsenal to the signing of Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona PLAY 1 min. story SPONSORED Skip Full Screen Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling by Metro Read More Read More Skip Ad Read Morecenter_img Comment Coutinho briefly played under Pochettino during a loan spell at Espanyol in 2012 (Picture: Getty)Earlier on Tuesday, reports in France claimed that Coutinho had agreed to a season-long loan deal to move to Arsenal.AdvertisementAdvertisementCoutinho could now be an option for Spurs, though, with Mauricio Pochettino having coached him briefly during a spell at Espanyol during the 2011-12 season.Pochettino signed Coutinho on a six-month loan from Inter Milan in January 2012 and the Brazilian impressed, scoring five goals and registering an assist in 16 La Liga matches.Spurs are keen to secure a replacement for Eriksen, whom they are looking to sell this month, rather than run the risk of losing him on a free when his contract expires next summer.Manchester United have emerged as candidates to sign Eriksen, however, the club would rather sell him abroad with Real Madrid and Juventus both having been linked to him.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityCoutinho was booed by sections of Barcelona’s support last season and managed just five goals and two assists in 34 La Liga games for the club last term.He netted the opening goal for Barcelona during their 4-2 win over Spurs in the Champions League group stage last October.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Top articles 1/1 Video Settings Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 6 Aug 2019 5:53 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link843Shares About Connatix V67539 Read More Coming Next Advertisement / Read More Advertisementlast_img read more

Devils score 3, count ’em, 3 own goals in shootout loss

first_imgThe Devils managed to put three pucks into their own net, with the offenders including Devils captain Andy Greene and, ironically, former Ducks Stefan Noesen and Ben Lovejoy.“That’s the first time in my experiences where we had three that got in,” Devils coach John Hynes told reporters after the game, via USA Today. “Sometimes something gets deflected in or hits someone else and goes in but those were a little bit odd tonight.” The mishaps made goalie Cory Schneider’s night even more difficult as he extended his losing streak to seven in his seventh start of the season. New Jersey scored eight times on Sunday, but still lost at Anaheim.The Ducks denied the Devils a win, but wouldn’t have been able to secure the 6-5 shootout victory had it not been for the three goals generously provided by New Jersey. “It was just a couple of bad bounces for us once again,” Schneider said. “That’s kind of been a recurring theme.”An exciting first period resulted in six combined goals and a 3-3 score. The Ducks entered the third period trailing 4-3, but managed to take a late lead after killing a crucial power play. The Devils then tied the game on a Marcus Johansson 6-on-5 goal in the final minute, sending the game to overtime.Schneider’s quest for his first win since Dec. 27 of last year will continue when the Devils visit the Sharks at 10:30 p.m. ET Monday.last_img read more