Sociology professor Christian Smith recently received honors for his latest works, “What is a Person” and “Souls in Transition,” from top scholarly institutions, including “Choice” magazine and the Lilly Fellows Program. Smith expressed gratitude when presented with his awards and praised the University for its contributions to his research. “You spend years and years working on books, so it’s nice when someone thinks they’re worthwhile. I’m very happy for Notre Dame as well,” Smith said. “The University’s resources have been invaluable to my research.” In addition to teaching sociology courses, Smith serves as Director of the Center for the Study of Religion and Society and the Director of the Center for Social Research. Smith said he developed an interest in religion and the spiritual lives of youth early in his career. “I was always interested in the field of religion,” he said. “In 2000, I began studying the religious and spiritual lives of teenagers. I find the lives of young people fascinating and a great way to understand culture and society.” “Souls in Transition,” the winner of the 2011 Lilly Fellows Program Book Award, explores spirituality and religion during emerging adulthood, a time Smith defines as between 18 to 23 years of age. “There’s a lot of freedom, opportunity and dangers during this limbo phase between the teenage years and young adulthood,” Smith said. “In the book, I look what happens to the lessons from childhood. Also, growing up in a pluralistic society, I wondered how teenagers would approach spirituality once leaving home and separating from their parents.” While researching for his book, Smith discovered his findings supported previously established claims, while also validating obvious yet surprising explanations concerning the religious lives of young adults. “We have known that going to church declines in this period. There’s not a decline in beliefs necessarily, but more so in public practice,” he said. “It should be obvious then, but the most important factor in shaping the lives of young people is their parents. It’s surprising because we tend to believe parents become less and less important, and this is not the case at all.” Smith has brought his research to the Notre Dame community, hoping that residence staff and campus ministry can help students develop and sustain their spiritual lives during their undergraduate careers. “I have presented my findings to all the rectors, and my main message is if you really want to reach young people with faith, then you have to engage them where they are in their lives,” Smith said. “Notre Dame can’t control what parents have taught, but they can continue to engage students in conversation.” Smith’s other work, “What is a Person,” explores the question of personhood within a comprehensive framework informed by sociological and philosophical principles. “I think social science gets human beings wrong in a lot of ways,” Smith said. “What it means to be a person is something very particular and complicated. If humans are persons, then social science needs to take personhood seriously rather than taking a reductionist view.” Smith said he advocates a pluralist approach, a philosophical system recognizing the possibility of more than one ultimate principle. “We need to develop a better theory of personhood that defends a humanistic view as human beings are special and worthy of dignity,” Smith said. “I think culture is moving away from this view, and it’s a big problem.”
By Voice of America (VOA)/Edited by the Diálogo Staff October 07, 2020 Since April 2020, U.S. Southern Command (SOUTHCOM) has seen an increase in narcotrafficking through and from Venezuela toward Central America and Europe, two U.S. government officials said on August 28.“Venezuela has become a criminal paradise […] for narcoterrorists and drug traffickers,” U.S. Coast Guard Rear Admiral Andrew Tiongson, SOUTHCOM director of Operations, said.In a teleconference with journalists, Rear Adm. Tiongson said that his team has seen an increase both in the flow of narcotics and in flights leaving Venezuela and passing through Central American countries, including Guatemala.The head of operations explained that, due to COVID-19 and the counternarcotics operations that the United States launched, narcotraffickers have had to change routes and methods to reach their objectives.“We’ve seen […] that traffickers are transitioning methods because of the port closures, the airport closures. The drug traffickers have had to adapt, and they have,” Ambassador Jean Manes, SOUTHCOM’s civilian deputy to the commander and senior foreign policy advisor, said.Rear Adm. Tiongson said that his unit was working on “detecting, disrupting, and defeating drug smugglers,” and he emphasized that the U.S. Coast Guard had recently seized more than 12,000 kilograms of cocaine and marijuana in the area of operations.“These operations are a significant part of our enduring commitment to our partners in the region,” he said.
To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week. Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters
Manchester United captain Harry Maguire Could Philippe Coutinho move to Tottenham this summer? (Picture: Getty)Tottenham Hotspur are hoping to beat north London rivals Arsenal to the signing of Philippe Coutinho by submitting a loan offer to Barcelona.The 27-year-old is available for transfer this summer following an underwhelming 18-month spell in Spain, although Barcelona are also open to loaning him out for a season.According to the Times, Barcelona are looking to receive a hefty £21m fee in order to loan him out, though, while interested clubs may have to cover his £200,000 weekly wages.Spurs are on the lookout for an attacking midfielder as they look to sell Christian Eriksen this month and have been strongly linked with Real Betis’ Giovani Lo Celso and Sporting Lisbon’s Bruno Fernandes throughout the summer.ADVERTISEMENT Visit Advertiser website GO TO PAGE Tottenham looking to beat Arsenal to the signing of Philippe Coutinho on loan from Barcelona PLAY 1 min. story SPONSORED Skip Full Screen Rio Ferdinand tells Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop struggling by Metro Read More Read More Skip Ad Read More Comment Coutinho briefly played under Pochettino during a loan spell at Espanyol in 2012 (Picture: Getty)Earlier on Tuesday, reports in France claimed that Coutinho had agreed to a season-long loan deal to move to Arsenal.AdvertisementAdvertisementCoutinho could now be an option for Spurs, though, with Mauricio Pochettino having coached him briefly during a spell at Espanyol during the 2011-12 season.Pochettino signed Coutinho on a six-month loan from Inter Milan in January 2012 and the Brazilian impressed, scoring five goals and registering an assist in 16 La Liga matches.Spurs are keen to secure a replacement for Eriksen, whom they are looking to sell this month, rather than run the risk of losing him on a free when his contract expires next summer.Manchester United have emerged as candidates to sign Eriksen, however, the club would rather sell him abroad with Real Madrid and Juventus both having been linked to him.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityCoutinho was booed by sections of Barcelona’s support last season and managed just five goals and two assists in 34 La Liga games for the club last term.He netted the opening goal for Barcelona during their 4-2 win over Spurs in the Champions League group stage last October.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing Arsenal Top articles 1/1 Video Settings Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 6 Aug 2019 5:53 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link843Shares About Connatix V67539 Read More Coming Next Advertisement / Read More Advertisement
Smith hit .241 with 13 homers and 53 RBIs in 101 games for Baltimore last year. He is expected to be a starter for the rebuilding Orioles, who are coming off two straight 100-loss seasons.___Edmonton Oilers defenseman Caleb Jones says he tested positive for the coronavirus before training camp.Jones said Friday he tested positive when he returned to Edmonton from his home in Dallas. He says he was asymptomatic.The NHL is not releasing the names of players who test positive for the virus, and the league also is no longer revealing which teams players who test positive play for. Smith hopes to be ready to play in Baltimore’s opener at Boston on July 24.“I feel great now,” Smith said on a Zoom call Saturday.Outfielder Anthony Santander also missed the start of camp because of a positive test. He reported on Tuesday.Smith tested positive when camp opened early this month — a result that caught him by surprise.“It was kind of alarming because I really didn’t have symptoms. I didn’t lose taste or smell,” he said. “I felt normal and everybody around me, my family, was fine.” Associated Press July 18, 2020 Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus pandemic on sports around the world:___Outfielder Dwight Smith Jr. has rejoined the Baltimore Orioles after missing the start of summer camp following a positive test for the coronavirus. The Latest: Smith back with Orioles after positive test The 23-year-old Jones became the second NHL player to acknowledge a positive test in a media interview. Maple Leafs center Auston Matthews also revealed his positive test.Jones said he completed his 14 days of isolation before camp started, but was held out of main sessions for the first three days as he tried to get himself back up to speed.He said he revealed his positive test “to set the record straight.”“It’s obviously a very weird disease, a weird time in the world right now,” Jones said. “Some people get really affected by it and it can be deadly and other people would never know they had it and I was maybe lucky enough to be in that group. If I had never gotten tested, I would have never realized I had it.”___ More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports